Our church story began on April 15, 1888 when eight people met to organize the First Baptist Church of Vassar. The first pastor, Rev. James McArthur was called a year later with a salary of $400 plus room and board.
The first property was purchased for $800 where the Charis New Testament Church meets today. Sadly, there were two fires that affected that property. The first was on February 4, 1941. Very little was saved due to smoke in the auditorium. Insurance covered only $2,000. The second fire was on October 21, 1950. This time insurance covered $24,000 on the building and $1,000 on the contents.
Then, new property was purchased and a building was made for our present location. Services began here on June 15, 1969. In addition, our new gym, fireside room and kitchen was completed on April 15, 2009.
Our church has a long and great history of helping people connect to Jesus Christ and learn to follow him. We are all part of that legacy of God working through His people to reach the city of Vassar, Tuscola County, and the world.